Prison Inmate Program
One Step Away
We can stop the revolving door of recidivism
In today’s revolving-door jail and prison culture, where the revolution is driven by addiction, relapse and a continual life of crime, a powerful voice and direction is needed from an identifiable messenger. Michael DeLeon’s powerful and unforgettable story is delivered to inmates that literally changes the conversation and the tone of conversation on the tier. Having been there himself, Michael’s 10-lesson educational program for prison inmates introduces his ten principles for successful re-entry into society.
Michael DeLeon is a voice rarely heard by jail and prison inmates, especially while incarcerated. This education series brings lessons Michael learned from spending over 20 years in addiction, gang involvement and criminal activity,12 years behind the walls of New Jersey State Prisons and its halfway house system and 3 years on parole.
A recovering addict, ex-offender, former gang member and a national leader in recidivism reduction, addiction advocacy and criminal justice reform, Michael delivers a dynamic and compelling message of overcoming the barriers of re-entry and tackling the societal stigma of being an ex-offender. He emphasizes the #1 Success Principle: Taking 100% Responsibility for your Life. He brings real-life tools, motivation and encouragement to a population void of all three.
What Makes Michael’s Program Unique
Especially for Jail and Prison Inmates:
- Powerful, unique message about the social difficulties of re-acclimation, but the internalized message of how to overcome those barriers to reentry coming from someone with real life experience
- Thought provoking material on the success principles of Re-Entry
- A very atypical program on why victim-stance is the most damaging and self-defeating mindset for anyone returning to society from jail or prison
- Profound message sharing his vulnerable ACE (Adverse Childhood Experience) experiences that literally create a paradigm shift, where dealing with trauma becomes a sign of strength rather than their perceived sign of weakness.
At the end of the 10-lesson Educational Series, participants who complete all steps will understand the concepts of Michael DeLeon’s Ten Principles of Successful Re-Entry:
- Detoxify Your MIND, Not Just Your Body
- Forgive Yourself
- Clean up your Friends List
- Take 100% Responsibility For Your Life
- Don’t Let Your Past Dictate Your Future
- Stand UP To Yourself
- Discipline Your Emotions and Feelings
- Put as Much Effort into Recovery as you did Getting High
- Elevate Yourself
- Never EVER Give Up!
The Learning Objectives:
- Participants will gain a better understanding about the nature of substance abuse and addiction and how to journey from addiction to Recovery
- Participants will gain more knowledge about the origin and process of the current epidemic of opiates and heroin within their communities
- Participants will be able to articulate the reasoning behind much of the recidivism and relapsing drug use of those with ties to the criminal justice system, especially their own situations
- Participants will gain new understanding and learn new strategies to not only plan for their re-entry, but how to put those strategies into place upon release.
One Step Further
Recovery Army provides links and referrals to the places recoverees can go to gain the skills, motivation, growth and maturity needed on their road to recovery.
We offer opportunities to access education, support and resources to help people in recovery realize physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectual, social, occupational, environmental and financial wellness.